Friday, September 16, 2011

Heroes

Last night there was a football game where during halftime, they would have a ceremony to honor all the first responders. There was such a great and strong sense of unity and community that filled the stadium.
Before halftime, I went to the potty to be sure I avoided the lines during halftime and to make sure I was back in my seat before the presentation. On my way back I got caught up in a sea of firefighters as they came down from the bleachers to go down onto the field. There were hundreds of them. Most of them looked exhausted and were covered in soot. I couldn't help but cry to think that all these men and women had come out and allowed us to show our gratitude when I am sure they would have much rather have gone straight home...to their hotel to take a hot shower and go to sleep and start all over again tomorrow until this war is over.
They remind me of soldiers. A soldier may argue with me about the level of heroism but these men and women are voluntarily walking into a war with mother nature in defense of people they have never even met. And they too do not know if they will be home safe and sound at the end of their trip.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITEMETER

BACKGROUND